Deadline for Public Comments is Feb. 27
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) is seeking public input on a newly developed policy to guide how DEC evaluates and reviews work plans for projects in the Adirondack and Catskill Forest Preserve. The draft Commissioner Policy (PDF) is available for public comment until Feb. 27.
“DEC is seeking public input on how best to evaluate proposed projects in the Forest Preserve,” said DEC Commissioner Basil Seggos. “The Adirondacks and Catskills are much-loved destinations for recreation and experience significant visitor use in some areas. DEC’s goal is to protect these natural resources, provide outdoor recreational opportunities for residents and visitors alike, and ensure the Forest Preserve continues to be an asset to future generations. This new policy will serve as a guide for newly proposed projects and the evaluation of their site-specific impacts to the environment and character of the Forest Preserve.” Read more »
Posted: February 3rd, 2023 under Adirondack Region News, Environmental News, State Government News.
Comments: none
Senator Stec News Release
As Senator Dan Stec (R,C-Queensbury) looks through the particulars of Governor Hochul’s 2023-24 Executive Budget proposal, he’s pleased to see the plan finally addresses several parts of the negative impact last year’s gun control laws had on gun owners and visitors to the Adirondack Park. In the Public Protection and General Government Article VII Bill, state lands in the Adirondack and Catskill Parks, athletic competitions and historic re-enactments would all be exempted from the controversial gun control measures.
Despite numerous statements from the governor’s office and Democrat leaders last year that Adirondack Park gun owners, visiting athletes and historic re-enactors were already exempted from the law, Stec and several other Second Amendment stakeholders pointed out the law clearly stated otherwise. To address the issue, Stec sponsored legislation exempting the Adirondack Park and in several different venues pointed out the inconsistencies between written law and verbal statements issued by those decrying the concerns of gun owners. He sees the governor including these provisions in her budget proposal as welcome news for our region. Read more »
Posted: February 3rd, 2023 under Law Enforcement News, Political News, State Government News, State Legislator News.
Comments: none
News Release
With COVID-19 emergencies poised to expire at federal, state level, Senator writes governor to lift mandate and help alleviate short staffing at hospitals and nursing homes
This week, Senator Dan Stec (R,C-Queensbury) wrote to Governor Hochul, requesting she end the vaccine mandate on healthcare workers. President Biden recently announced the federal COVID-19 emergency would end on May 11. The state emergency is scheduled to end on March 1. With that in mind, Stec urged the governor to lift the mandate and help ease the severe staffing shortage at hospitals and nursing homes.
“There has long been a staffing shortage in our hospitals and nursing homes, and that has only worsened because of the vaccine mandate on health care workers first instituted by Governor Cuomo and continued by Governor Hochul,” said Stec. “Nearly 34,000 trained, dedicated health care workers lost their jobs due to this mandate. While the need for this mandate was debatable during the height of the pandemic, it’s certainly no longer needed now.
“I’ve heard from hospitals and nursing homes in the 45th Senate District and they’ve made it clear that they need more workers,” he continued. “Lifting the vaccine mandate for health care workers would help provide immediate assistance to these facilities. That’s why I’ve written to Governor Hochul and asked her to show support to our local healthcare facilities and end this mandate.”
Posted: February 3rd, 2023 under Heathcare News, Political News, State Government News, State Legislator News.
Comments: none
The New York State Thruway Authority (Thruway) has proposed a multi-year schedule of systemwide toll increases to begin in 2024, but a new report from State Comptroller Thomas P. DiNapoli identifies concerns with the proposal and urges the Thruway to first improve its operations and maximize non-toll revenues. DiNapoli’s office reviewed a decade of the Thruway’s finances and the toll hike proposal and found gaps in essential information necessary to evaluate the proposal.
“The Thruway Authority’s toll increase proposal comes at a time of extraordinary challenges for New Yorkers who are faced with rising costs for everything from food to shelter to gas,” DiNapoli said. “The Thruway should be more transparent with the public and disclose critical information, and identify and put in place all possible cost-savings and alternative revenue actions to minimize costs to drivers. Raising tolls should be the last option, and the Thruway has more work to do.”
In December 2022, the Thruway’s Board of Directors began the process of implementing a multi-year schedule of systemwide toll increases. The proposal calls for higher toll rates that would take effect on Jan. 1, 2024, and again on Jan. 1, 2027, for the highway system and barriers, and annually over four years beginning in 2024 for the Governor Mario M. Cuomo (Cuomo) Bridge. It also expands the rate differential between New York-issued E-ZPass users and all others. The toll increases are expected to grow toll revenue by 28.4%, or $1.9 billion, through 2031. The last toll hikes occurred in January 2021, when tolls were increased for the Cuomo Bridge, those paying through the mail and drivers from out-of-state, and again in January 2022 for the Cuomo Bridge.
DiNapoli’s report found that the Thruway’s finances and operations have been influenced by five key factors over the last decade:
- Implementation of cashless tolling and problems with Tolls by Mail (TBM) system. The Thruway’s implementation of cashless tolling was completed in November 2020. In 2022, Thruway leadership reported this modernization effort had not yet produced cost savings or efficiencies. In addition, problems including erroneous bills and significant fines and penalties prompted calls from state officials and the public for the Thruway to make sure the system was functioning as intended. An audit of the Thruway’s cashless tolls program was engaged by DiNapoli in April 2022 and is in progress.
- Sharp declines in traffic and toll revenues due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The COVID-19 pandemic saw a significant drop in traffic which caused toll revenues to decline 16.8% in 2020 before rebounding in 2021. Ongoing uncertainty due to the pandemic along with changes in reporting due to cashless tolling make it difficult to ascertain whether traffic pattern projections, upon which the toll increases are based, are reasonable and appropriate.
- Construction of the Cuomo Bridge. Between 2012 and 2021, $3.8 billion was spent on the bridge – more than half of the Thruway’s capital spending – with an additional $254 million budgeted through 2024. The state contributed $2.3 billion toward the cost of the Cuomo Bridge and other projects, but remaining capital costs associated with the bridge have been financed with Thruway debt.
- Debt management practices. Annual debt service on the Thruway’s currently outstanding debt is projected to grow to over $419 million by 2031, up 36.1% from 2022. This debt, along with additional borrowings proposed under the Thruway’s new 2023 to 2027 Capital Plan would cause debt service to grow nearly 61% by 2031. This growing debt service burden reflects both the impact of the Cuomo Bridge and prior debt management decisions to structure debt to prioritize short-term savings at the expense of long-term finances by deferring debt repayment into future years.
- Shifting financial obligations. While the Thruway was intended to be mostly self-financing, it benefited from $2.3 billion in support from the state during the construction of the Cuomo Bridge. At the same time, however, the Executive pushed forth a toll freeze through 2020. The state has also made major shifts in responsibility pertaining to its financial and operating obligations – including those of the Canal Corporation and State Police – making effective long-term planning difficult and blurring the lines between the state and the Thruway. In addition, the state has relied on the Thruway as a “backdoor borrowing” financing vehicle with more than $5 billion in state-supported Thruway debt outstanding, hindering transparency.
DiNapoli urged that before any tolls are increased, the Thruway address the following concerns:
- Resolve systemwide cashless tolling and TBM issues. Before asking system users to pay more, the Thruway should address its implementation problems and ensure that it has a clear and accurate forecast upon which to base its revenue estimates. The Thruway should also provide better documentation and disclosure of the assumptions used to develop the revenue and traffic projections that support its proposal. State legislative proposals intended to address some of the challenges associated with cashless tolling and improve transparency should be considered.
- Perform a comprehensive assessment of operating needs and expenses to identify costs that may no longer be necessary. Since 2012, there has been a significant decline in the number of Thruway staff, while its reliance on procurements has increased. Reporting of key performance indicators is essential to identify opportunities to improve efficiency and transparency. In addition, savings from better coordination with other state agencies or authorities should be explored.
- Maximize non-toll revenue sources, including federal funding as well as revenue streams that could be generated from its assets and infrastructure. As shown by recent major increases in revenue from its fiber optic system, the Thruway should pursue alternative revenue streams from its service areas and gasoline stations, special permits, and other property. With significant new federal infrastructure and other funds available, the Thruway should demonstrate that it has exhausted all such funding opportunities.
- Disclose capital needs assessment to justify cost projections. The Thruway’s new $1.9 billion Capital Program for 2023 through 2027 and associated debt costs are cited as part of the justification for the toll increases. However, there are significant gaps in available information related to the management and condition of its assets and its capital needs. The Thruway has not provided a comprehensive capital needs assessment that would allow policymakers and the public to understand the condition of the system and to evaluate whether it is effectively prioritizing projects and targeting funds to essential capital projects.
Report
Assessment of New York State Thruway Authority Finances and Proposed Toll Increases
Read more »
Posted: February 3rd, 2023 under Highway Dept. News, State Government News.
Comments: none
The League of Women Voters of the North Country invites interested readers to join a six-week reading and discussion group on Place and Story made possible through a grant from Humanities New York. The three titles chosen by the League from the list developed by award-winning author and environmentalist Rick Bass will stimulate discussion about perspectives that capture the complicated relationship Americans have with the land and the living things around them. The following books will be loaned to participants: An Unreasonable Woman which chronicles Diane Wilson’s battle against massive pollution along the Gulf Coast that she calls home; Winter In the Blood by James Welch is a novel about a young Native American man living in Montana; and Angle of Repose, a Pulitzer Prize-winning novel by Wallace Stegner about a retired historian reflecting on his grandparents’ lives.
The group will meet in person for six Thursday afternoons, 4:00-5:30 pm, beginning March 30 and ending May 4, at the Clinton County Historical Association, 98 Ohio Avenue, Plattsburgh. Participants can sign up by emailing Susan Kelley at skelleysnow8@live.com. The discussion group is free and open to the public. However, seating is limited, so reserve a spot early.
Posted: February 3rd, 2023 under Community Events, Education News, Environmental News, General News, Northern NY News, Things to do in & near Peru.
Comments: none

Peru Central School District will be closed today, Friday, February 3rd.
Posted: February 3rd, 2023 under Education News, Peru School News.
Comments: none
Thanks to Jodie Bonville for sharing the celebration at the end of Wednesday’s Peru-Ticonderoga basketball game on Senior Night. The Nighthawks won 51-39.
Click here and wait for a second; the video should appear. IMG_6290
Posted: February 3rd, 2023 under Education News, General News, Peru School News, Sports News.
Comments: none

April Wright
Peru – When most people think of the JCEO Outreach Center, they think of a “food shelf.” But, the people attending the Peru Democratic Party’s first Community Learning Series at the Peru Free Library learned that it’s much more than a food shelf.
Peru JCEO Outreach Coordinator, April Wright, was the guest speaker. Marque Moffett summarized April’s presentation and responses to the many questions people asked.
When April Wright arrived, two things were obvious: the JCEO Outreach Center does a LOT for our community, and April is a helper to her very core. Here is a partial list of the services provided by our JCEO Outreach Center:
- Providing fresh fruits, vegetables, bread, meats, dairy, personal hygiene items, and non-perishable food such as canned and boxed goods.
- Application assistance for people filling out SNAP*, HEAP**, HUD***, and Christmas Bureau applications.
- Housing assistance: for individuals, who can show they can pay monthly rent, JCEO can provide the first month’s rent + security deposit. They often collaborate with other local organizations such as DSS, United Way, and Catholic Charities.
- The backpack program gets school supplies to children whose families need assistance.
- Summer camp scholarships to select local summer camps.
- Connect volunteer drivers with individuals who need a ride to medical appointments.
- A supply of blankets, clothing, and new socks & underwear are on hand for any individual who needs them.
In addition to all the services, April will help people find additional assistance if they need it. She’s a living, breathing treasure trove of information! So if you or anyone you know is looking for help or would like to help yourself, please get in touch with April. The JCEO Outreach Center is in the basement of Peru’s Town Hall. Hours are Monday, Tuesday, Closed, Wednesdays, Thursday, and Friday from 8:30 am – 4:00 pm. The phone number is 518-643-8455. I recommend calling ahead, as April is often called away for work duties.
To wrap this up, I’d like to share a quote of something April said at the event: “To see what this community does to support us … it just touches my heart. It’s amazing.” Well done, Peru! Let’s keep up our good work.
* SNAP – Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, i.e., Food Stamps
** HEAP – Home Energy Assistance Program
*** HUD – U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
Posted: February 2nd, 2023 under Community Events, Faces of Peru, General News, Peru News, Peru resident news/accomplishments.
Comments: none
Thanks to Jodie Bonville for allowing the Gazette to post her Facebook video of the victory celebration following last night’s Peru Varsity Basketball win over Ticonderoga. It was also Senior Night. Congratulations Nighthawks!
Click here to view on Facebook.
Posted: February 2nd, 2023 under Education News, General News, Peru School News, Sports News.
Comments: none
The budget would raise the state cigarette tax from $4.35 to $5.35 per pack.
Click here for the Syracuse.com story
Posted: February 2nd, 2023 under Education News, Heathcare News, Political News, State Government News.
Comments: none
We are reducing our operation Saturday related to the extreme cold forecasted. As a result, Peru Convenience will remain open 9-4 to accommodate other nearby closures.
Posted: February 1st, 2023 under General News.
Comments: none
More than 26 percent of the state government workforce is eligible for retirement in the next five years and state has lost 14,375 employees since 2020
Click here for the Times Union story
Posted: February 1st, 2023 under State Government News, Statewide News.
Comments: none